Friday, December 5, 2008

One Trick Pony

So again, I have taken a few sunset pictures.  Our December 4:30 sunsets are just so beautiful, and now we have our Christmas tree. Even though Rob and I have been together for several Christmases now, this is our first tree together. I must say, the apartment smells fantastic. One thing I really like about Christmas trees is that they make the home smell so clean, even it if it isn't. We should keep a pine tree in the house all the time!
I am having a hard time reconciling my non-religious beliefs with my love of Christmas stuff. What am I celebrating? While I can respect the birth of Christ and what that means to many other people, it really doesn't mean much to me. So am I belittling the beliefs of others with my non-denominational tree. At home, we would call it our Hanukah bush, because we did at one point in my life celebrate both holidays in honor of my grandparents.  Or am I just celebrating the retail mindset of our culture? I am not even really concerned about the presents. I really just like the smell and feel of Christmas. But what about Futureman? What do we teach him? Do we teach him about Jesus? Do we teach him about Toys R Us? Do we teach him about giving and generosity because it is the right thing to do, and not just cause some guy taught some people good things? Although it seems to me that others take his teachings and twist them to best suit their own selfish means....but anyway, thats not for me to decide.

Here is a shot of my favorite ornament with the sunset in the background. I am also a fraud here. But since I am just as much not Buddhist as I am not Christian, I figured it couldn't do too much harm to hang a likeness of Buddha on a tree. Look at how benevolent he looks. Maybe I should read up on his teachings.
Here is Rob putting up some decorations. He tried to take some pictures of me, but I looked terrible and pregnant and tired and gross in all them. That led to some arguing about why such a talented photographer can't take a decent portrait. Also, a word of warning....don't make a pregnant lady feel even fatter and uglier than she feels already. It won't make you or her feel good.
Here we are with our first Christmas Tree. We got it at the Dunshee House. It is their annual fundraiser and raises money for the Seattle Aids Support Foundation. I would recommend it. Katie recommended it to us and we loved it. The volunteers were super helpful, until they tied the doors of our car shut. 
Rob with the tree coming out of his nose. Before we realized the car doors were tied shut. It was very sit-commy.

No comments: