Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Going a wee bit stir crazy...

Here are some more pictures...
Doesn't it kind of look like a giraffe escaped from the zoo? Is anyone else worried about the animals who aren't accustomed to this weather? They don't even have clothes.

This is the yard next door that is featured in the comparison shots in the two previous posts. Normally, when it snows in Seattle, snowman are just surrounded by grass, because there just isn't that much snow. In this shot you can see that there is plenty of snow left on the ground. I saw a five layer snowman on my little walk today. But I didn't have my camera. Note-this is with the 3X optical zoom...if UPS was delivering and we could take it with the 20X optical zoom, we could see it even better.

Here is proof that sunshine does not equal warmth or melting. 

So, I know that I should be relishing these moments of having nothing to do and nowhere to go, because very very soon, I will be up to my elbows in baby vomit and poop and pretty much at the disposal of the tiny human being who will soon be here. However, there are things I want to do, like go to the bookstore or go to fabric store. Somehow I am under the impression that I can make curtains for Futureman's room, so I want to go pick out some fabric. And while the main roads are slushy but drivable, our immediate little neighborhood roads are just compacted snow drifts. I walked to the little grocery and video store today, just to get out of the house, and it was incredibly difficult.  That may be the extra weight I am carrying around, or it might have been the slippery compact snow that currently passes for Seattle sidewalks. Either way, I am ready for the snow to melt. The snow, she is a beautiful jailor. 

But where is the snow going to go? Although I am no expert, I don't think that Seattle sewers are adequate to drain all this precipitation. When I was in college, we went on a biology field trip to a Sewage Treatment Facility (it was gross), but I remember the guy talking about how Portland had incredibly inadequate drainage for any excess rain or snow. I imagine it is the same here. Will there be flooding? Will sewage run freely down the streets? Like in the middle ages? At least we live at the top of a hill and not the bottom.


No comments: