Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dreams Really Do Come True

So, about a month ago, I had a very vivid dream where the monitor on my laptop just kind of broke in half and dangled limply. In the dream, I was in a room with my friends Julia and Hillory. Julia was eating a delicious looking roast vegetable sandwich made with vegetables from her very own garden. Her solution to my broken monitor was two large slices of carrots and a slice of eggplant. Hill rolled her eyes. However, it worked perfectly and Julia was able to say to Hill smugly, "See, if you just listened to me..." And I had a working computer. That was the dream.

Now the rant...
Today, I came home from my first day of school(!) and promptly went to check my email, as I always do when I get home from anywhere. Well, much to my surprise, I could barely lift the monitor from the keyboard. Turning it around, I learned that the hinges had exposed wires (I didn't even know that there were wires in the hinges.) So, while the computer is technically sound, it is now structurally compromised. I took it to the Apple Store, where the very nice guy at the genius bar told me it would be 500 dollars to fix the "accidental structural damage" 500 dollars!! For a working computer that just doesn't stand up! His other suggestion was using it as a desktop. Which would be fine, if I hadn't just bought a new power cord and battery! Ugh. 
Anyway, as I wait to make a decision, my monitor is balanced precariously on its hinges, slightly wobbling at each key stroke. My dad told me to refer to it as a floppy disk. Haha.

So, spending 500 dollars on an ancient computer (its an iBook G4 from four years ago) seems ridiculous, especially cause it technically still works. But spending 1,000 dollars on a new computer seems twice as ridiculous (get it, that's a math joke), albeit fun because new computers are awesome. Of course, with a baby on the way, it would seem there are about a million better ways to spend that money.  If only I had two large slices of carrot and a slice of eggplant, we wouldn't even have a problem.

In baby news, he's moving around like crazy and I am having round ligament pain like no body's business. I thought I was going to fall over while walking around today. This baby better be awesome, is all I'm saying, because this stabbing thing is not cool!

In school news, the first day went well. I like my professor. She is sassy and a strong proponent of sarcasm, which I love! I'm sure I'll have more to report on that as time goes by, and I have more work I should be doing instead of writing nonsense on this blog.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

do not spend 500 to fix that computer. that computer is not even worth 500 anymore